What is Merchandising?
Merchandising is the promotion of the sale of goods that can employ pricing, special offers, display and other techniques designed to influence consumers’ buying decisions. The concept of merchandising is based on presenting products at the right time, at the right place, in the right quantity and at the right price to maximize sales.
Start your 14-day free trial on Shopify today!密博(上海)官方网站: Start Free Trial
When it comes to merchandising strategies, a “one size fits all” approach won’t suffice. Depending on the overarching objective for the retailer, brand, and category, the merchandising strategies should vary by category or even by segment to target a specific goal, such as developing customer loyalty, increasing sales, driving footfall/traffic, raising awareness of your brand, and so on.
In a retail setting, some of the most popular methods to compel shoppers to buy include:
- Interactive displays that use scent, sound, and motion technology
- In-store and window displays in unique shapes
- Shelf signage
- Creating themes to bundle products together (e.g. school lunch, barbecue season, Christmas, etc.)
- Free tasting sessions and in-store demonstrations
- Giveaways and samples
- Well planned, eye-level product placement
- Well-stocked shelves and displays
In an eCommerce setting, the most effective ways to entice people to make a purchase include:
- Live chat support to aid customer purchase decisions
- Placing the search bar in a prominent position on the site
- Offering free shipping
- Status bar to show progress during checkout
- Season-specific and holiday-based collections, 密博(上海)官方网站:curated landing pages and special offers
- Product descriptions that use images, copy, attributes, videos and other digital data
- Product recommendations
- Advertising banners
- Ratings and reviews
- Cross-selling, 密博(上海)官方网站:upselling and bundling
- Effective product categorization
- Ribbon overlays that visually accentuate something special about a product (bestseller, free shipping, sale, newly added, etc.)
The Importance of Merchandising
- Variety: Merchandising can show customers the variety you have within your store so they have a good selection of products to choose from.
- Product placement: With a great merchandising strategy you can place addition products within your customer’s reach, both on and off line, for them to buy.
- Promoting: Placing your onsale products in a specific area on your website, or in store, means that people will be more willing to browse products around it.
Benefits of Merchandising
Since merchandising is all about selling, the ultimate benefit of effective merchandising is higher sales and better profit. Stores that manage to create a 密博(上海)官方网站:seamless shopping experience and effectively guide consumers to purchase completion, enjoy an array of benefits including:
- Higher profits
- More satisfied shoppers
- More engaged buyers (longer on-site time)
- Faster inventory turnover
- Increased brand loyalty
- Increased brand recognition
Differences Between Sales and Merchandising?
Although sales and merchandising are two closely related functions, they are not the same thing. Merchandising is the process of leading a customer to a sale, while the term “sales” refers to a consumer actually selecting a product and completing a purchase transaction. For example, a prominently displayed banner leading to a special gift guide can inspire and entice a consumer to add a product to their shopping basket (that’s merchandising) and when the customer completes checkout, it’s classified as sales.
Want to Learn More?
- What Should You Sell Online?
- 密博(上海)官方网站:Best Dropshipping Products to Sell in Fall
- 密博(上海)官方网站:20+ Trending Products to Sell
- 密博(上海)官方网站:Best Dropshipping Products to Sell in Summer
Is there anything else you’d like to know more about and wish was included in this article? Let us know!